CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, April 25, 2011

72 Hour Kit





We had such a great time on Thursday and I learned SO much from all we discussed. I just wanted to start (and I underline that cause there is a TON of information that I need to post on here) getting you the information we talked about (at least all I can remember).

For those that were there I thank you cause we received so much information from your knowledge and experiences. If I leave something off please let me know so we can get all this great information to everyone.

So I wanted just to start with the handout that we received. (sorry I'm new to blogger so I don't know how to add a page to the web and link you there so here you go!:) )

Put these in a water proof container, an easy idea...zip lock baggies!!



Important Documents (copies)
Insurance Policies
Identification
Bank Account info
Birth Cert
Marriage Cerf
Drivers License
Social Security Card
Passport
Wills
Deeds
Power of Attorney
Inventory of House (pictures are great)
Stocks
Bonds
Family Picture
Emergency contact numbers
Patriarchal blessings

This is the 72hr kit in a can that I showed you. If you'd like to come see the strap were you add water to the other side so you can carry it easier, give me a call and we'll take a look. Also the can opener for those that weren't there is taped to the top of the can AFTER YOU SEAL IT. You need to be able to get into the can. We had a lid (just the white ones that come with the can) on top so you can keep everything contained from day to day.



Also remember MRE's are a great idea for meals and to add to your 72hr kits but let me warn you they aren't all tasty. We have a lot of military members and others who have tried them and could tell you which ones aren't to bad, so make sure either you try them (cause it's important to like whats in your bags) or ask around!

72 Hr Food Menu
First Day
Breakfast
Fruit Cup (save can)
Granola Bar
Hot Chocolate
Lunch
Beef Jerky (1)
Peanuts
Fruit snacks (1)
Snacks
3 gum
4 lifesavers
Dinner
Pasta Dish
Capri Sun
Peanut Butter Crackers

Second Day
Breakfast
Oatmeal
Fruit Snacks (1)
Apple Cider
Lunch
Soup
Crackers (1/2 bag)
Cereal Bar
Snacks:
3 Gum
4 Lifesavers
Dinner
Pasta dish
Fruit cup
Trail mix

Third Day
Breakfast
Oatmeal
Raisins
Hot Chocolate
Lunch
Beef Jerky
Granola Bar
Snacks
3 gum
4 lifesavers
Dinner
Soup
Crackers (remaining)
Granola Bar
Miscellaneous
Spoon, Matches, Wipes, Opener

So I didn't want to make this a huge list so I'm linking you to my favorite site for kits. You can get an idea of what is important to put in your bag, they list everything. (don't feel like you have to buy the kit cause they are easy to put together, you might even have a lot of the stuff at your house right now) You're always welcome to come over and see what I have as well and whats in each bag.


Additional Items to Consider Adding to an Emergency Supply Kit:
• Prescription medications and glasses
• Infant formula and diapers
• Pet food and extra water for your pet
• Important family documents such as copies of insurance policies, identification and bank account records in a waterproof, portable container
• Cash or traveler's checks and change
• Important family documents such as copies of insurance policies, identification and bank account records in a waterproof, portable container. You can use the Emergency Financial First Aid Kit (EFFAK) - PDF, 277Kb) developed by Operation Hope, FEMA and Citizen Corps to help you organize your information.
• Emergency reference material such as a first aid book or information from www.ready.gov.
• Sleeping bag or warm blanket for each person. Consider additional bedding if you live in a cold-weather climate.
• Complete change of clothing including a long sleeved shirt, long pants and sturdy shoes. Consider additional clothing if you live in a cold-weather climate.
• Household chlorine bleach and medicine dropper – When diluted nine parts water to one part bleach, bleach can be used as a disinfectant. Or in an emergency, you can use it to treat water by using 16 drops of regular household liquid bleach per gallon of water. Do not use scented, color safe or bleaches with added cleaners.
• Fire Extinguisher
• Matches in a waterproof container
• Feminine supplies and personal hygiene items
• Mess kits, paper cups, plates and plastic utensils, paper towels
• Paper and pencil
• Books, games, puzzles or other activities for childrenhttp://www.ready.gov/america/getakit/index.html





Here's a few sits I found some great information on. Remember it can be very overwhelming at first and I don't want you to feel that way. If you start getting there, talk with me I'll be happy to walk you through whats most important and how to prepare for an emergency (I promise I don't bite!)




Great ideas for FHE and helping out children know what to do in case of an emergency http://theideadoor.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=982





Put together by a ward…great tips on everything
http://preparednessnibblesandbits.blogspot.com/

In dept ideas on everything emergency preparedness
http://pgward.org/ep/

Great check list
http://ce.byu.edu/cw/womensconference/archive/2006/sharing_stations/pdf/icw2b.pdf








I know a lot of you wanted my papers for "My Family Binder". I'll be posting about those a little later so make sure you check back soon!




Also each month I'm going to be adding information to help you in gathering your food storage and 72hr kits and keeping your family safe. There is some great information to come!

0 comments:

Post a Comment